Sauvarins First Glass Services

3/31 Princes Street, Onehunga, Auckland 1061
PO Box 84087, Westgate, Auckland 0657
Ph: 09 846 2154

GET A QUOTE

Let us quote your next project

Our History

Galatos Street

As a constant presence in the glazing industry for almost 90 years, Sauvarins Glass have had to continuously innovate and adapt to take advantage of emerging technologies in the glazing industry.

A bit about our history: Sauvarins Glass commenced business as glass merchants in 1929 during the depression. We were founded by Thomas Sauvarin sen, and the company passed through three generations of the Sauvarin family before being sold off in the late 1960’s.

The company was originally located in three small sheds in Ponsonby. Within four years, the business had grown so rapidly that relocation became necessary.

A move to Galatos Street, Newton where we had 9000sq ft of room to work with was ample at the time, however; we soon outgrew this space and in the mid-late 1960’s purchased a large block of property in Kingsland, Auckland City on which we built a new factory and warehouse.

 
Construction of Sauvarins Premises, Kingsland Auckland
Construction of Sauvarins Premises, Kingsland Auckland
Construction of Sauvarins Premises, Kingsland Auckland
Sauvarins Premises, 474-476 New North Road, Kingsland Auckland

 

With the Kingsland premises it was envisaged that the company would be placed closer to the Balmoral Shopping centre because at the time, this was considered the heart of Auckland City’s central business district.

Furniture Manufacturers Glass Supply

As an emerging glass merchant, Sauvarins Glass originally placed a strong emphasis on supplying furniture manufacturers with their glass and mirror requirements.

By the late 1960’s the company had evolved and shifted their focus to become one of Auckland’s largest suppliers of a range of glass products including: mirrors, lead lights, sliding glass doors, glass shelves, table tops, fancy glasswork and sheet glass.

It was at this time that the company was sold to Pilkington’s. Pilkington’s continued to grow and further develop the core glass merchant business for the next 25+ years until the current owners David and Glenn Hughes purchased it in the mid-late 1990’s.

With the new owners, a shift towards more commercial and insurance related work was envisaged. During the 2000’s, leadlights and coloured glass were phased out or relocated so that we could focus on growing new areas of the business.

In the 2010’s due to growing market demand we started exploring more sustainable glazing options, one of which included retrofit double glazing.

Sauvarins First Glass Services are proud to be 100% New Zealand owned and operated.

Login





Forgot password?
Create an Account